Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Honing My Writing Skills

I say I love English. I love to read and write. I say those are my skills. I'm always saying how I'm terrible at Math. Everyone has to be good at something. So, whether my English skills are up to par or not I say I'm good at English and writing.

The only problem is I NEVER write. I get anxiety over writing and I procrastinate writing as a habit. And rarely do I read any longer.

So, I'm making a commitment, which is long overdue, but nevertheless a commitment. And that commitment is to write everyday and keep track of my writing through this fabulous blog! So, I have proof--some level of accountability.

AAAHHH! I'm a little terrified and I'm not sure if I can keep up with this but I'm certainly gonna try, inshallah!

Another goal I'm trying to accomplish through this blog is improving my writing skills. Just like with everything else, in writing, practice makes practice...and sure theories on how to teach writing are numerous, but in all honesty--I truly believe that writing comes from a few very simple words taught to us from Allah (SWT). The first ayah to be revealed of the Quran was Iqra which means to "read." And as Surah Al-Alaq continues Allah tells us that he "taught man the use of qalam, or pen. Hence, Allah (SWT) in the first revelation revealed to Muhammad's (SAW) ummah was to read and then to write! Subhanallah! And that's exactly what I intend to do...and inshallah I shall succeed!

I'm so glad that a fellow teacher at school reminded us all of this fact as us teachers and they students embarked on their summer vacations. May Allah shower his blessings and mercy upon her. Ameen.

I've also been on and off thinking about purusing an M.A. in Literature, not because I'm in love with literary theory and critical analysis but because I want to teach English at the community college level. I love the community college atmosphere, at least what I remember of it and would love to work in that environment and since I like English and like to read I thought why note teach English? After all, no matter what he/she majors in, all college students have to take at least two basic composition classes. So, it seemed like a good idea. But, realistically can I succeed and am I competent enough to take on such an endeavor as an M.A. in Literature?

I had the pleasure of looking at some of the old writing I'd done for my undergrad literature and language arts courses. I was pleasantly surprised to read my own writing and thought not bad...but after years of taking accounting courses I'm not so sure I have what it takes to turn an already medicore pack of writing ability into a superb one. I'm way to fond of "trite" and "cliche" expressions as my English teacher in high made a point to notice and write all over my essays. Triteness is highly looked down upon in academe. So, I don't know...we'll see I suppose. May Allah help me find my true purpose and pursue it. Ameen.

No comments: